4 responses
Anonymous asked a question to Logistics
Category: Interview Tips
Date asked: Thursday, October 28, 2021
Last reviewed: Monday, November 1, 2021
Picture of Jen C.
Jen C.
Reservist Brigade SO2 SPS
The Cognitive tests held in the Army Selection Centre? Here's some tips: You’ll need to complete a short test which helps us to match you with roles that are right for you. Don’t worry, we’re not trying to catch you out, this is just to make sure you’re in the right role to suit your skills and abilities. You’ll take literacy and numeracy tests depending on your GCSE Maths and English grades or equivalent. HOW TO PREPARE It’s a good idea to brush up on your Maths and English through GCSE revision guides you can find online (BBC Bitesize is a good one). You can also talk to your recruiter about the ‘Demystifying Assessment Centre Tests’ workshops we offer, which will help you prepare for these. You’ll take the Technical Selection Test if you’re hoping to join a technical trade in the Royal Engineers, Royal Electrical and Mechanical Engineers, Royal Corps of Signals or if you’d like to be an Ammunition Technician in the Royal Logistic Corps. HOW TO PREPARE Ask your recruiter about the ‘Demystifying Assessment Centre Tests’ to learn more about how to prepare for this. Hints and tips: Before: – Seek further support with literacy and numeracy revision using online resources such as BBC Bitesize or visit your local library. – Schedule time to research any weaker subjects and structure your study. – Effective study is different for everyone; however, nutrition and rest are key factors. It can be difficult to focus and concentrate if you’re tired and/or hungry. Ensure that you schedule regular breaks when studying. – Speak with your recruiter if you’re unsure of anything beforehand, because once you’re at the Assessment Centre it may be too late. – Try not to dwell on the tests the night before the Assessment Centre. Ensure that you’re well rested and have eaten on the morning of the tests. During: Ensure that you adopt a positive mental approach to the tests. Remember, no one is trying to catch you out; all of the staff want you to succeed and to give it your absolute best performance. – The Army Cognitive Test is touch screen so it may feel slightly different from your practice sessions but the nature of the questions is exactly the same. – Position yourself at the desk to answer questions quickly (i.e. don’t slouch and waste time having to sit up for every question). – The Army Cognitive Test also measures speed and accuracy so you should attempt to get into a rhythm. I'd also research and practice online psychometric tests as that can help too.
Friday, October 29, 2021
Anonymous
I am from Scotland so I don’t know the equivalent of gcse.
Friday, October 29, 2021
Picture of Jen C.
Jen C.
Reservist Brigade SO2 SPS
Hi, National 5 (N5) are the Scottish equiv to GCSEs. The grades you need are found on the Army website. You can still use BBC Bitesize though as GCSEs/N5 cover the same subject knowledge for literacy and numeracy to help you prior to assessment centre.
Monday, November 1, 2021
Anonymous
Do you get a plain piece of paper for the number reasoning part or no
Monday, November 1, 2021
This discussion is closed, so no new comments can be added.
Did you find this discussion helpful?