British Army
what is it like to be a chef in the Army. Also does the chefs cook the same thing or is it different everyday.
Picture of Amie
1 response
Anonymous asked a question to Combat
Category: Role Description
Date asked: Tuesday, July 26, 2022
Last update: Thursday, July 28, 2022
Picture of Amie B.
Amie B.
MT JNCO
Hi there, First things first, take a look here -https://apply.army.mod.uk/roles/royal-logistic-corps/chef So my answer is based upon my experience of working alongside chefs, as well as previous answers in this forum, but if you've any further questions, get in touch with your local careers office and they will be able to put you in touch with an RLC chef. Similarly, if you're on social media, look up Pardeep Kaur (IG: british_army_chef_kaur_pardeep). She is on YouTube and Twitter also. She provides a great perspective and insight of being a chef in the British Army. HOURS = (extract from another answer) 'If you are at base then we do shift work like early 5:30-14:00 hrs, late-10:00-18:30hrs. When on exercise or tour depending on the man power sometimes we do long hours but we get time off as well to get you proper rested.' Typically, a chef will attach to a unit, so where that unit goes, the chef will also go. I have worked alongside chefs in Estonia, right through to Scotland on a field exercise. The chefs will also need time to set up/ pack down equipment. From talking to the chefs, they're often busy when on exercise or operations, but on camp it can be a lot quieter. MENU = (extract from another answer) 'A menu cycle will be in place as set by your master chef, however with some experience and time in the role you will have an input on the menu'. From my experience, the menu will vary each day, and a two-week rotation is quite common when on camp or away on exercise. Things like breakfast are normally similar each day (continental/ fry up/ bacon roll etc type options). EXPERIENCE = So you don't need prior experience of being a chef or working in hospitality before applying. After completion of Ph1 Basic training, you will complete Phase 2 ITT (Initial Trade Training) at the Defence Food Service Wing at Worthy Down. You spend roughly 18 weeks learning all about food, personal hygiene, field catering as well as gaining a level 2 qualification in 'Health & Safety'. QUALIFICATIONS = Levels 1 & 2 - Functional Skills, Level 2 - Production Chef, Level 3 - Senior Production Chef Cooking, Levels 2 & 3 - Health & Safety, Levels 2,3 & 4 - Nutrition, Level 3 - Education & Training, Levels 3 & 4 - Facilities Management. You will also get your B (car), C (lorry) and C+E (lorry with trailer) license. More information on qualifications is on the website on that very first link I sent above. The majority of qualifications are obtained throughout your training. POSTINGS = As with any role in the British Army, you will have the opportunity to put down a preference, but ultimately the army's needs come first. One of the good things about being a chef is they attach to near enough every unit, meaning you could post anywhere in the country if you wanted to. As I touched upon earlier, chefs will deploy alongside their unit, so there will be opportunities to go away on exercise or operations. There are also posting detachments, for example Estonia, where you will post and stay for an extended period. COMPETITIONS = Chefs have the opportunity to show their culinary skills in cooking competitions and also have opportunities to work in some of the finest restaurants. A chef is essential for keeping troops well fed. Quite often I've been away on exercise, and the food cooked up by the chefs has been a huge morale boost. Whilst it can be hard work with long hours, there are plenty of opportunities for rest, sport, adventure training, professional training etc. If you're able to cook up a hearty meal, you will quickly become a firm favourite for the soldiers. I hope that helps and provides an insight from somebody who has worked alongside the chefs, but like I say, if you want any further information, speak to your local careers centre.
Thursday, July 28, 2022
This discussion is closed, so no new comments can be added.
Did you find this discussion helpful?