What is the food like in the Army?
Best discussions & stories
Picture of Tori
Picture of James
4 responses
Additional information
I don't like a lot of food and really only eat plain food like pasta, chicken and bread.
Anonymous asked a question to British Army
Category: Company Info
Date asked: Tuesday, July 23, 2019
Last update: Friday, June 12, 2020
Picture of James M.
James M.
Reconnaissance Platoon soldier
There is always a variety to choose from at meal times. There will always be a core section but there will always have the specials or healthier options. If like many people, you would prefer to cook your own food then there are usually cooking facilities in your accommodation block to facilitate this. If you wish, eating out is also an option if your working day allows it J
Wednesday, August 7, 2019
Picture of Tori C.
Tori C.
Regimental Medical Officer
Hello, As James says, you will often have the facilities to cook your own food when you're living in military accommodation. If you want to eat the food that is provided, then the quality will vary a little from base to base, but it is generally the same sort of food. Healthy options and salad provided. The only thing I can think of comparing it to is school dinners, and I would say it is better than those! When you are on exercise or deployed it is a little different. 24hr ration packs you just need to make do with, they are actually not too bad though! For longer deployments you might have a 10 man ration pack and a military chef. I have found the military chefs can work wonders with ration packs! I haven't gone in to detail about what is in the 24hr ration packs as they are always changing, but usually 3 meals and a dessert, lots of snacks (biscuits, chocolate, peanut butter, sweets etc..) and tea/coffee/hot chocolate. Some people for shorter exercises will bring some of their own food and snacks. If you are working outside just for the day, for instance on a range, then they usually bring containers of food for you or provide a packed lunch. If its container food it is usually rice and stew or curry, often with bread. Packed lunches are usually crisps, piece of fruit, sandwich, sausage roll, biscuits and chocolate bar - but will vary! I have definitely met a few fussy eaters in the military, and they all seem to manage ok, so I wouldn't worry!
Wednesday, August 28, 2019
Picture of Greg H.
Greg H.
Royal Military Police NCO
When I first joined I was a really fussy eater. The good thing about the military cookhouses is that you always have a selection to choose from. There is usually something for everyone. That being said, and as explained above, if you want to have food that you know you like, there is usually cooking facilities within the accommodation so that you can prepare something yourself. What I have found over the years is being exposed to different cultures and backgrounds, my tastes have changed and I have started to eat a huge variety of food. There are still things that I wont eat, but the army has certainly changed my eating habits.
Monday, September 2, 2019
Picture of James M.
James M.
Reconnaissance Platoon soldier
Jake, No food and accommodation is paid for by the crown. You will receive your wages and anything that needs a contribution will have already come off your wages. For the first 4 weeks you will be cash paid whilst admin sort enlistment details etc and get you on the payroll. Following that you will be paid via your bank account it. Wages you have in basic training don’t reflect what you will earn once you reach your unit. Hope this helps J
Friday, June 12, 2020
This discussion is closed, so no new comments can be added.