Picture of Will you get a gas safe training as a plumber in the army?

Will you get a gas safe training as a plumber in the army?

Picture of Caroline
5 responses

Samuel J. asked a question to Engineering

Category: About us

Date asked: Friday, June 5, 2020

Last reviewed: Monday, June 8, 2020

Picture of Caroline M.

Caroline M.

Troop Commander

Good morning. On completion of your initial trade training you will receive a Level 2 apprenticeship in Heating and Plumbing from the City & Guilds. After some time spent in the Field Army you will then return to trade training at Chatham for your Class 1 training (on completion you will receive a Level 3 in Heating and Plumbing). Unfortunately the gas qualification is not part of this training. Some soldiers when they come to leave the Army use their learning credits to help fund part or all of this qualification.

Monday, June 8, 2020

Samuel J.

If I already have a level 2 NVQ in plumbing in heating will I go straight onto a level three NVQ in plumbing and heating?

Monday, June 8, 2020

Picture of Caroline M.

Caroline M.

Troop Commander

When soldiers already have trade experience the instructors can fast track them through the training however there are still assessments that you will have to pass in order to get the military tick in the box and your competency as a ME Plumber. The instructor will then request that you are prioritised for returning for your Class 1 training where you will receive your Level 3 NVQ having been to the Field Army for some time. It might be worth considering whether you would like to get an additional trade as it is not always possible to change trades if you change your mind. Hope that helps.

Monday, June 8, 2020

Samuel J.

So being a soldier and a tradesmen will you be serving on the front line or doing more work on the bases? What does your time in the army look like? Will you do things that are not related to your trade? Thanks this all helps.

Monday, June 8, 2020

Picture of Caroline M.

Caroline M.

Troop Commander

Hi. So it completely depends what Unit you go to and what they have lined up. The Royal Engineers are some of the busiest Units in the Army at the moment and we have people all over the world. I would check out the Corps of Royal Engineers facebook or instagram page to see the range of tasks that our soldiers are involved with. For me personally I spent 7 months of last year in the Falklands doing a construction project. My part was project management but depending on the priority of work different trades had to help with other trades e.g. plumber weren't just doing plumbing - they had to help the C&Js and the B&SFs construct the walls before the plumbing could be completed. If you go on my insider page you can see in more detail my journey in the Army. Good luck!

Monday, June 8, 2020

This discussion is closed, so no new comments can be added.

Did you find this discussion helpful?