Picture of I'm really intrested in light  infantry but I've been told I will struggle when I'm out if I don't have a "proper trade"

I'm really intrested in light infantry but I've been told I will struggle when I'm out if I don't have a "proper trade"

Picture of Steven
2 responses

Additional information

I have A levels but people keep telling me it will be hard to find something else when I'm out, although my current plan is to stay in as long as I can

Molly L. asked a question to Steven R.

Category: Application issues

Date asked: Monday, June 8, 2020

Last reviewed: Tuesday, July 21, 2020

Picture of Steven R.

Steven R.

Light-role Infantryman

First of all I'm very sorry for such a late response, I have recently been deployed elsewhere. It's always great to see someone keen to take on the challenge of an Infantry role. There are plenty of skills and quals to be achieved within the Infantry Corps, it all depends on what you would consider to be a 'proper trade.' If you are specifically looking to gain skills in construction like carpentry or plastering, or AC instillation etc. Then it would make more sense to apply for the Royal Engineers or REME. However, if you do plan on building a strong career as an Infanteer then there should be no problems whatsoever. There is an almost endless wealth of knowledge to be attained while serving and even more if you are conducting your re-settlement in preparation for leaving the Armed Forces in search of a new career. You're always welcome to learn new skills and quals whilst serving, a few example of mates I've served alongside joined with GCSEs and left the Army with an abundance of new-found knowledge. Some collected degrees while serving and all found unique career paths the second they left their job as a light-role Infanteer. I now have friends who are working as an accountant, a barista, a crane lift operator and plenty more, the qualifications they needed were all paid for by the British Army. All in all, if you want to become a light-role Infantrywoman then go for it. If it then turns out it for whatever reason you feel the need to leave, you can pick and choose where you would like to move on to. Whist serving, if you ignore any quals you specifically attain in your role, simply climbing the ranks grants you quals in management all the way up to level 7 degree. If there is anything I may of missed or if you have anymore questions then please fire away. I hope you make the choice that's right for yourself and I wish you the best of luck in your career.

Tuesday, July 21, 2020

Molly L.

Thank u so so much that was rly useful and worth waiting for the reply! I definitely will go for it

Tuesday, July 21, 2020

This discussion is closed, so no new comments can be added.

Did you find this discussion helpful?