Picture of Is the Education and Training officer classified as a combat role?

Is the Education and Training officer classified as a combat role?

10 responses

Emily D. asked a question to Combat

Category: Role Description

Date asked: Friday, June 12, 2020

Last reviewed: Sunday, June 14, 2020

James A.

Reconnaissance Platoon soldier

Emily, I wouldn’t think so. GCC ( ground close combat ) roles include infantry, artillery and army air corps. Some roles get attached to combat/frontline troops but in a support role such as royal engineers as search and explosive entry, royal signallers as signals dets and combat medics for the obvious reasons, Hope this helps J

Friday, June 12, 2020

Emily D.

Hi James, Thank you!

Friday, June 12, 2020

James A.

Head over to the army website and search for army and education office, there should be a job description J

Friday, June 12, 2020

Picture of Katie

Katie

Staff Officer - Projects for People

Hi Emily, J is absolutely right. Educational and Training Services (ETS) officers are not part of the combat arms. Whilst they will still deploy into operational theatres, they do so to train and educate our officers and soldiers for their continued professional development and would not deploy out on combat operations. You can find out more about the role here; https://www.army.mod.uk/who-we-are/corps-regiments-and-units/adjutant-generals-corps/educational-and-training-services/

Friday, June 12, 2020

Emily D.

Thank you all for the insight and details for further information, very much appreciated.

Friday, June 12, 2020

James A.

No problem Emily. Goodluck!

Saturday, June 13, 2020

Oliver V.

Hi there, I am also interested in becoming an ETS Officer. Can I ask what you would do on a deployment? You say teach soldiers - what do they get taught? Many thanks, Oliver

Saturday, June 13, 2020

Picture of Katie

Katie

Staff Officer - Projects for People

Hi Oliver, On operations our ETS officers deploy to teach both officers and soldiers. Their main role is to conduct education which allows our officers and soldiers to progress in their personal and professional development and careers. These courses are often required to allow our personnel to promote to the next rank. Sometimes ETS officers are employed as the Media and Visits officers within the Headquarters too. I hope this helps but let me know if I can provide anymore information.

Saturday, June 13, 2020

Oliver V.

Katie, Thank you, this is really helpful

Saturday, June 13, 2020

James A.

ETS will teach literacy, numeracy and depending where they are posted would work in education centres managing soldiers.

Sunday, June 14, 2020

This discussion is closed, so no new comments can be added.

Did you find this discussion helpful?