Picture of Hi my daughter is in year 11 and wants to join the army but she has Aspergers and ADHD will this stop her getting in

Hi my daughter is in year 11 and wants to join the army but she has Aspergers and ADHD will this stop her getting in

Picture of Jen
1 response

Additional information

She wants to do the uniformed course at 6th form but if she will be rejected due to diagnosis there’s no point

Anonymous asked a question to Medical

Category: General

Date asked: Wednesday, October 6, 2021

Last reviewed: Thursday, October 7, 2021

Picture of Jen C.

Jen C.

Reservist Brigade SO2 SPS

Hi, I'm afraid we can't answer individual med questions on this forum as every individual is different and it's looked at on a case by case basis. If she is on medication this will have a factor too. Those diagnosed with Aspergers may meet the entry requirements following an assessment by an Oc Health individual. Generally speaking, a diagnosis of ADHD does not always prohibit individuals from joining. It will depend on symptoms, on treatment, who made the diagnosis and whether the individual has been off treatment for an extended amount of time without symptoms. Our guidelines on this are constantly being reviewed. If she starts an application our team will be able to give an answer once they have checked your daughter's medical records and have taken into account other information that may be required (you may need to appeal if you feel you have not been able to provide all information up front). On a slightly separate note, personally i know a lot of people who've done the BTEC Uniformed Course for 6th form / college who never joined the military but they enjoyed the course, learnt a lot from it about themselves too and got a good qualification at the end. There's been a few who joined the police, fire service and one of my friends went on to be a paramedic. As a qualified teacher I'd always go for, it's best to do a qualification that you're interested in and more likely to finish and do well at than start something you have less interest in. I've seen a lot of kids and soldiers start quals they don't finish because they lose interest. Ultimately if it's a Lv 3-4 qual then I'd just encourage her to choose what she wants to do. Sorry it's not all that helpful an answer - but i hope it helps.

Thursday, October 7, 2021

This discussion is closed, so no new comments can be added.

Did you find this discussion helpful?