Picture of Can i join with a friend and stay with them throughout training and at a regiment?

Can i join with a friend and stay with them throughout training and at a regiment?

Picture of Jen
2 responses

Anonymous asked a question to Combat

Category: Role Description

Date asked: Thursday, November 11, 2021

Last reviewed: Friday, November 12, 2021

Picture of Jen C.

Jen C.

Reservist Brigade SO2 SPS

There are lots of people who do join up with friends but there is no guarantee that you will either end up in the same intake for basic training and certainly no guarantee that you will end up at the same Regt. Throughout Basic Training though you will make friends for life, which sounds very cliche but it's absolutely true. One of my bestest friends is someone i went through training with 17 years ago. I went to a party a week ago and saw a friend i haven't seen since we left basic training - it was like i saw him yesterday!! You will share a bond with people you join with for the rest of your life and make deeper friendships than you have ever known. My ex husband actually joined up with his best friend from school (as Junior Soldiers - ie 16yrs old), they went through basic training together but each joined different parts of the army. Throughout their time in the army they randomly ended up at the same Regts together (one as REME and one as PT Corps) - they are still best friends almost 30 years later!!!

Friday, November 12, 2021

James A.

Reconnaissance Platoon soldier

You can apply for the same regiment and go through the process, you may not get the same assessment centre or the same intake date for your chosen regiment. If you were to be lucky and get the same intake, you may end up on a different section depending on how many people were in the intake. With regards to your unit you could end up in a different company or platoon again. For example, an infantry battalion has on average 3 rifle companies, a support company and a headquarter company. You would end up on tasks together at certain points of your military careers but could end up on opposite sides of the world too Have you applied yet? J

Friday, November 12, 2021

This discussion is closed, so no new comments can be added.

Did you find this discussion helpful?