Picture of I'm quite short and am worried that I won't be strong enough to pass the fitness tests. Any advice?

I'm quite short and am worried that I won't be strong enough to pass the fitness tests. Any advice?

Best discussions & stories
5 responses

Serena T. asked a question to Georgina Z.

Category: Interview Tips

Date asked: Tuesday, July 23, 2019

Last reviewed: Monday, May 18, 2020

Georgina Z.

Marketing Manager

Hi Serena, don't worry, most girls aren't tall in the Army and therefore we adapt to meet the fitness requirements. I'm 5 foot 6 inches and always struggled to get over the 6ft wall when we were doing assault courses. It became quite funny in the end because actually it isn't that tricky when you know how to do it and the physical training instructors took the time to teach me the correct technique so I got there in the end! You do need to be strong but if you train properly, gradually and follow a programme you will get to the standard needed. All the fitness tests are achievable, some people will take longer to get there than others and everyone has their own strengths and weaknesses. So don't worry, it doesn't matter if you're not fit or strong enough now, follow the Army fitness app and you will get there - you can 'Google' it if you want to use this. Once you are in training, you will be supported all the way by professionals. I wasn't fit when I joined but got there with support. I know that if my fitness ever dips I can always go and ask for help and I often do when I want to learn a new exercise or sport. Please feel free to ask any more questions on this subject if this is not enough of a response for you.

Tuesday, July 23, 2019

Anonymous

I'm extremely short and I'm pretty sure I only reach the height requirements (I'm 5ft), what if I can't do parts of the fitness courses due to my height?

Sunday, October 20, 2019

Picture of Tori C.

Tori C.

Regimental Medical Officer

Hello, As Georgina says, do not worry about being too short! I am only 5'1'', and there were several others on my Phase 1 training who were the same height as me. Lots of the fitness courses are about technique, and while being short can be tricky sometimes, there are parts of it where being smaller is also helpful. The instructors are very good at teaching the right techniques, and if you do need to build up strength to help with this, then they will work with you to do that. You won't be expected to be able to do anything other than the basic fitness requirements when you join, everything else the Army will work with you to achieve.

Tuesday, October 22, 2019

Anonymous

I’m 4ft11 would I be able to drive

Monday, May 18, 2020

Picture of Tori C.

Tori C.

Regimental Medical Officer

Hello, Honestly I am not too sure, I think to be a Driver there is a height requirement simply due to the design of military vehicles, however I am fairly sure being under that height does not stop you from driving if your main role is something else. For example if you trained as a combat medical technician, your height would not prevent you being trained on how to drive a battlefield ambulance. The best thing to do would be to discuss this with the recruitment team after you've started your application as they will have access to the up to date selection criteria. Starting an application does not tie you in to anything, but it will help you access more information.

Monday, May 18, 2020

This discussion is closed, so no new comments can be added.

Did you find this discussion helpful?