Picture of What's it like to be in the military.. and be a chef? Do you choose the menu? If so/if not, what's your fave dish? :)

What's it like to be in the military.. and be a chef? Do you choose the menu? If so/if not, what's your fave dish? :)

Picture of Nana
Picture of Sam
2 responses

Additional information

I'm currently doing research for a military-accurate chef.. and I'm just curious to be honest. I've always wondered what it's like.. and I don't want to be inaccurate!

Start new discussionBrowse other categories

Anonymous asked a question to Logistics

Date asked: Wednesday, August 21, 2024

Last reviewed: Friday, August 23, 2024

Picture of Nana A.

Nana A.

RLC Nurture JNCO

Being in the British Army as a chef is rewarding and challenging. You provide essential support by preparing meals that fuels soldiers on base and in the field. While you don't typically choose the menu, which follows a set nutritional standard, you can get creative within those guidelines. Me particular i enjoy the omelette, as it's both satisfying and well-received by other soldiers as well. There are other dishes made by the chefs which is satisfying.

Friday, August 23, 2024

Picture of Sam H.

Sam H.

Nurture Team SNCO

When Chefs deploy on exercise with the field kitchens is when they can really get creative. The team of chefs will decide their menus, get the ingredients they need and then provide fantastic food to the other soldiers on exercise. My favourite on exercise was when the chefs had made a pineapple upside down cake. Like Nana said, day to day on barracks the menus follow a contracted nutritional plan so there is less creativity.

Friday, August 23, 2024

Did you find this discussion helpful?