What did you do to prepare for it too
Anonymous asked a question to Paul
Category: General
Date asked: Wednesday, November 27, 2019
Last update: Thursday, June 24, 2021
Picture of Bethan W.
Bethan W.
Defence Leadership
Hi, I found Sandhurst a challenge, but one that I really enjoyed. It's 42 weeks long but split into manageable chunks of 14 + 14 + 14 weeks, with some weekends off where you can go and spend time away from the Academy. The training is varied, lots of educational lessons and exercises as well as physical development, and you are facing every challenge with likeminded people. The friends I made at RMAS will be friends for life which was probably the best part. To prepare I would suggest focusing on your fitness to make sure you can comfortably achieve the standard for selection - you will find everything easier if you aren't finding the physical activities tough. Make sure you don't over exert yourself and you are free from injuries though. Keep up with current affairs by reading reputable news publications, and brush up on your Maths, English and General Knowledge if you can. Know your CV and be prepared to discuss aspects of it at interview, such as your hobbies and interests. I would also suggest keeping a track of up to date news from within the Army too - follow the British Army social media channels to see what we are getting up to, and browse the British Army website to get an idea of the way the organisation is structured and its capabilities. Good luck with your application!
Friday, January 31, 2020
Picture of Katie
Katie
Staff Officer - Projects for People
Hi There, Thanks for your question. The Royal Military Academy Sandhurst is a truly amazing place; not only is it beautiful, but it is blessed with the best instructors the British Army has to offer and the training is revered by other nations as some of the best in the world. I absolutely loved my time there, and although at times it could be challenging, that just made it all the more rewarding. Preparing for Sandhurst and preparing for the Army Officer Selection Boards are quite different. Your question has asked about Sandhurst so I’ll focus on that but please come back to me if you want to know more about the selection process preceding Sandhurst. As Bethan has said above fitness is a really simple way to make your life a whole lot easier when you get to Sandhurst. Work hard to get fit before you get there, ensuring you can surpass the required standards. Make sure you turn yo injury free and feeling fresh as the training is fast paced and tiring. It is always important to stay abreast of current affairs, that is something that you’ll need to do throughout your Army career. In addition, brush up on map reading and compass work, and get used to being outside your comfort zone. Maybe spend some time camping and learning how to pack light, live off a stove, and be a little uncomfortable. If you’re been a cadet, in the OTC or Reserves all of those will really have helped to prepare you too. Good luck with your application. Katie
Tuesday, June 16, 2020
Picture of Jen C.
Jen C.
Reservist Brigade SO2 SPS
Personally i really enjoyed Sandhurst. There are times when it's hard but you always have people to get you through. The friends you make at RMAS will be friends you have for life and even if you don't see each other for years, when you do it's as though no time has passed. You all share a common something, no matter when you went through. My advice would be the fitter you are when you arrive at RMAS the better. It makes EVERYTHING easier - PT sessions (you don't need to worry about them and can 'enjoy' them (as much as possible)), exercises (you can encourage others who are struggling or maybe take some extra kit off them). I think i enjoyed RMAS as much as I did because i was fit and you can laugh through most things! It's also really the only thing you can work on before going as you know that you have to be fit - although PT gets progressively harder as you are there to avoid injury. Just need lots of Haribo (Moralibo!) and laughs to get you and everyone else through!!!
Thursday, June 24, 2021
This discussion is closed, so no new comments can be added.
Did you find this discussion helpful?