Picture of I have a spent conviction for a firearm, would the army give me a second chance?

I have a spent conviction for a firearm, would the army give me a second chance?

Picture of Katie
2 responses

Adam H. asked a question to Combat

Category: General

Date asked: Tuesday, April 28, 2020

Last reviewed: Tuesday, April 28, 2020

James A.

Reconnaissance Platoon soldier

Adam, thanks for your question. I cannot give you definitive answer but if you apply, you will either be rejected or successful. It’s worth a try. Regards J

Tuesday, April 28, 2020

Picture of Katie

Katie

Staff Officer - Projects for People

Hi Adam, Thanks for your question. Having a criminal record does not prevent you from applying to the British Army. The British Army recognises that people make mistakes, and is keen to give second chances where able. As J says, the best thing to do is start an application. The key is that you must be 100% honest about your past history when you apply. Although your conviction is now spent, it may effect your eligibility to join, or do certain trades within the Army so it is really important that you give the recruiters all the information. If you hide a conviction (even a spent one) before joining up, you could be prosecuted later. Good luck with your application and please let us know if you have any other questions. Katie

Tuesday, April 28, 2020

This discussion is closed, so no new comments can be added.

Did you find this discussion helpful?