Picture of Can an already serving soldier become an officer? If so how do u go about doing this and what requirements are needed??

Can an already serving soldier become an officer? If so how do u go about doing this and what requirements are needed??

6 responses

Additional information

I’m thinking of joining as a soldier as I like the soldiering part of the army however being an officer also intrigues me, so I wondered if I could do some years as a soldier then commission an officer

Andrew A. asked a question to Combat

Category: Role Description

Date asked: Tuesday, October 19, 2021

Last reviewed: Thursday, October 28, 2021

James A.

Reconnaissance Platoon soldier

Hi Andrew, in short yes. If you have the necessary education qualifications and requirements I’m pretty certain you can apply for commission. I’m sure there will be someone who will comment the correct answer shortly. Regards J

Wednesday, October 20, 2021

Andrew A.

Thankyou,, will keep an eye out f another comment,, wondering what the other requirements other than educational qualifications are also ?

Wednesday, October 20, 2021

Andrew A.

Ah yes cheers,, didn’t know if it would be a certain number of years service before can commission as a requirement that’s all,, cheers

Thursday, October 21, 2021

Picture of Jen C.

Jen C.

Reservist Brigade SO2 SPS

Hi, you don't need to have served a certain number of years. You need to have a recommendation to go for your direct entry commission and will have an interview with your bosses. Then the process is basically the same as if you joined straight from not being a soldier first! I know of individuals who have been highlighted to go the officer route during basic training! If you are successful through to the Army officer Selection Board (AOSB) Briefing, many serving soldiers get a Category 2 Potential Officers Development Course (or PODs) pass. This involves 10 weeks (i think - I used to teach on it but it was a while ago!) course at Worthy Down in Winchester doing alsorts of different things that will increase your chances of success at the Army Officer Selection Board. It is genuinely seen by ex POD cadets as one of the best courses in the army. If you are successful at AOSB then you would attend the full commissioning course at Sandhurst and commission as a 2Lt. You also don't need to serve as an officer in the capbadge you joined as a soldier. As a serving soldier you can also apply as a Late Entry officer but you can't do that until you reach the minimum of Sergeant and in a lot of Capbadges, Warrant Officer Class 2. Hope this and James' advice has helped.

Wednesday, October 27, 2021

Andrew A.

Thanks that’s really helped and cleared everything up,, cheers

Thursday, October 28, 2021

This discussion is closed, so no new comments can be added.

Did you find this discussion helpful?