Picture of How can you go from a regular soldier to officer?

How can you go from a regular soldier to officer?

Picture of Tori
1 response

Additional information

If I join as a student nurse and finish my degree, will I have to go through another selection board to become an adult nurse officer or is there another method?

Anonymous asked a question to Medical

Category: Role Comparison

Date asked: Tuesday, December 24, 2019

Last reviewed: Monday, January 6, 2020

Picture of Tori C.

Tori C.

Regimental Medical Officer

Hello, Yes you can go from a regular soldier to an officer, or for nursing, you may be able to join as a bursar and become an officer when you qualify. More details of routes in to nursing are available on our website. https://apply.army.mod.uk/roles/army-medical-service/army-nurse If you decide to join as a student nurse and then wish to become an officer you will need to complete the Army Officer Selection Board, after which you will attend the short commissioning course at Royal Military Academy Sandhurst. Once you qualify you will have a careers officer who will be able to go through your options with you, usually you will need to have displayed sufficient leadership potential to be selected for this process. Some soldiers have the option to become 'Late Entry' officers, for this you need to reach a certain rank and sometimes have served a certain number of years to apply. If you decide to make an application, you will get the opportunity to ask questions about career progression during the application process. I hope that helps!

Monday, January 6, 2020

This discussion is closed, so no new comments can be added.

Did you find this discussion helpful?