Picture of If I joined at 16 and started at Harrogate could I get a rank before I turn 18 and go on the frontline

If I joined at 16 and started at Harrogate could I get a rank before I turn 18 and go on the frontline

Picture of LCoH Ashley
1 response

Oliver C. asked a question to Combat

Category: Work experience

Date asked: Saturday, January 15, 2022

Last reviewed: Monday, January 31, 2022

Picture of LCoH Ashley O.

LCoH Ashley O.

Recruiting Co-Ordinator at ACC Norwich

Good Morning Oliver and thanks for your question, Since Harrogate counts as your Basic training, unfortunately you wont be able to promote whilst you're there. Some jobs however, will grant you your first step on the promotion ladder as soon as you finish your Phase 2 training, for example Royal Military Police, Avionics Technician and some others. This can be for a variety of reasons, from requiring authority to also being due to the amount of time you will have spent training. You will however still have many opportunities to impress and see the rewards through this whilst at Harrogate. The team there offer their own internal promotion system. So if you are able to highlight yourself as being someone with potential, you can be given a temporary rank which is used as some responsibility between yourself and other Junior Soldiers. These ranks can go all the way up to RSM, with one person getting the opportunity to wear this rank and receive some of the privileges on their final day of training. If you manage to achieve a certain rank through your time at AFC Harrogate, then it will of course be noted on your record too, stating how you have performed when faced with responsibility and if you showed any leadership skills. This could be very beneficial when it comes to potentially promoting in the future after training. Do remember though that this is only temporary and a chance to show your worth. Once you've finished training you will have achieved the rank of private/trooper/gunner etc depending on your chosen job role. I hope that helps. All the best for the future and good luck!

Monday, January 31, 2022

This discussion is closed, so no new comments can be added.

Did you find this discussion helpful?