Picture of Hi sir, I'm quite ambitious and so I'd like to be in the highest rank possible, where do I start? (I'm studying at 17)

Hi sir, I'm quite ambitious and so I'd like to be in the highest rank possible, where do I start? (I'm studying at 17)

Picture of Jen
2 responses

Hassan H. asked a question to British Army

Category: Career Advice

Date asked: Friday, December 16, 2022

Last reviewed: Tuesday, December 20, 2022

Hassan H.

I'm doing A levels right now, I like strategy and tactics and one of the things I'm interested in is Military History, is it best for me to go university and finish my degree then join the Army (if I wanted to achieve the highest rank possible) or do I join the Army right now?

Friday, December 16, 2022

Picture of Jen C.

Jen C.

Reservist Brigade SO2 SPS

Hi, you can still achieve a very high rank if you join as a private soldier. Not all senior ranks started by joining the army directly as an officer. Joining from the ranks (ie as a Private soldier) gives you experience, knowledge and sometimes a level of compassion/empathy you wouldn't necessarily have from joining directly as an officer. As an officer (with A'levels or a degree) you could join (after 44 wks basic training at the Royal Miliary Academy Sandhurst) as a 2nd Lieutenant (2Lt). If you were to study medicine then you could look to join as a Professional Qualified Officer (PQO). PQOs join the Army as Captains.

Tuesday, December 20, 2022

This discussion is closed, so no new comments can be added.

Did you find this discussion helpful?