Picture of Hello, so im currently studying a non related degree. I was just wondering if this is something i could do on the side?

Hello, so im currently studying a non related degree. I was just wondering if this is something i could do on the side?

Picture of Katie
1 response

Anonymous asked a question to Combat

Category: Qualifications

Date asked: Saturday, September 21, 2019

Last reviewed: Tuesday, September 24, 2019

Picture of Katie

Katie

Staff Officer - Projects for People

Hi there, Thanks for your question. Firstly the subject of your degree has no bearing on you joining the army or what Regiment or Corps you choose to join. You can study whatever you like and whatever interests you. I’ve met people in service who have studied politics and military history, and others who did golf course management or geography. It is true that some topics might help you through your training or career more than others, but none of them would preclude you joining. With regards to continuing to study whilst in the Army, that all depends on whether you are studying part time or full time. If you are a full time student then you could absolutely join the Reserves and continue to study alongside that commitment. I did this and it provided a welcome relief from my studies, some amazing sporting and adventurous training opportunities, and some well needed funds! If you are studying part time and want to join the Regular Army it will depend on the hours you are committed to on your course. It is unlikely that you would be able to study whilst in training as the tempo of training is full on and you need to give it your full attention. Once you get to your Regiment or Corps you’d then need to discuss it with your chain of command. I was able to release a couple of my soldiers to study degrees, allowing them an afternoon a week to study, and releasing them from non-essential duties to allow them to attend night school twice a week. However, they understood that the needs of the service still came first and that I could not guarantee being able to release them from work. They explained this to their tutors who were very understanding. The Army actively encourages all ranks to continue with their education and personal development so they will always try to support you and release you to study when able. I hope this helps in answering your question but please come back to me if you want to know more. Katie

Tuesday, September 24, 2019

This discussion is closed, so no new comments can be added.

Did you find this discussion helpful?