Picture of As an officer, can I earn a degree part time?Does the degree have to a specific or can i choose the course and where

As an officer, can I earn a degree part time?Does the degree have to a specific or can i choose the course and where

Picture of Katie
1 response

Anonymous asked a question to Combat

Category: Role Description

Date asked: Sunday, February 23, 2020

Last reviewed: Tuesday, February 25, 2020

Picture of Katie

Katie

Staff Officer - Projects for People

Hi there, Thank you for your question. The Army will fund the first degree for any soldier or officer who wishes to study for one, and who meets the eligibility criteria to study. If the Army is funding the course then it is limited to certain topics and universities who have signed up the the initiative. Also as an officer, the Army Higher Education Pathway (AHEP) provides opportunities for those who successfully pass out from the Royal Military Academy Sandhurst to achieve a bachelor’s degree in Leadership and Strategic Studies from the University of Reading’s Henley Business School. If you already hold a degree on joining, the pathway allows you to study for a master’s degree in Leadership and Strategic Studies. You are also able to apply to complete a course of your own choosing via distance learning, which you would self fund but could use Standard or Enhanced Learning Credits to help. You could not do a part time course which required you to regularly attend university during work time, but through discussion with your chain of command could most likely arrange to be released to attend some lectures and exams in support of your distance learning. It is best to speak to your chain of command, and the Officer in Charge of Officer Education within your unit who will be able to give you further guidance. I hope this helps. Katie

Tuesday, February 25, 2020

This discussion is closed, so no new comments can be added.

Did you find this discussion helpful?