Picture of Anything I could be doing at 17 to work towards becoming an Army Doctor? (outside of working towards a medical degree)

Anything I could be doing at 17 to work towards becoming an Army Doctor? (outside of working towards a medical degree)

Picture of Tori
1 response

Additional information

I have done nothing specifically Army related and I was wondering if there is anything I should be doing

Anonymous asked a question to Medical

Category: Career Advice

Date asked: Thursday, February 25, 2021

Last reviewed: Friday, March 12, 2021

Picture of Tori C.

Tori C.

Regimental Medical Officer

Hello, Usually I say to people that the Army is looking for good doctors, so the most important thing is to focus on getting in to medical school and then on your studies. The Army side of things can come a bit later, but it probably helps to show you are someone who would get on well with Army life. This doesn't need to be anything military specific, but might just be playing a team sport (or an individual one), being involved in anything that shows interest in extra-curricular activities, or an activity that shows leadership skills. You could look at joining the cadets, or OTC when you get to university, and while these things may be helpful, they are not a necessity. If it helps, I didn't do OTC, but I did play for the university hockey team. I hope that helps.

Friday, March 12, 2021

This discussion is closed, so no new comments can be added.

Did you find this discussion helpful?