Picture of I’m currently a first year medical student studying in the UK. What is the process for working as a doctor in the army?

I’m currently a first year medical student studying in the UK. What is the process for working as a doctor in the army?

Picture of Tori
1 response

Anonymous asked a question to Medical

Category: Career Advice

Date asked: Sunday, May 23, 2021

Last reviewed: Thursday, June 3, 2021

Picture of Tori C.

Tori C.

Regimental Medical Officer

Hello, There is a bit of information on joining as a doctor on our website https://apply.army.mod.uk/roles/army-medical-service/doctor There are two ways to join, either as a bursar or as a direct entrant. To get a bursary you usually apply during your first year at medical school, if successful, you get £10,000 a year for your final three years. You then complete your foundation years with defence deanery at a JHG (Frimley Park, Northallerton, Portsmouth, Plymouth or the Queen Elizabeth Hospital Birmingham). After FY2 you do the short commissioning course, then you receive the last £45,000 of your bursary. You then start work as a GDMO. The other way to join in a direct entrant, this means applying (usually in FY1) to join after you finish FY2. You do not get the financial benefits of a bursary, but you get more choice on where you apply to do your foundation years. Let me know if you would like any more information.

Thursday, June 3, 2021

This discussion is closed, so no new comments can be added.

Did you find this discussion helpful?