Picture of How do you become an army doctor? I don't really understand the process.

How do you become an army doctor? I don't really understand the process.

Picture of Tori
1 response

Anonymous asked a question to Tori C.

Category: Eligibility

Date asked: Saturday, March 13, 2021

Last reviewed: Friday, April 9, 2021

Picture of Tori C.

Tori C.

Regimental Medical Officer

Hello, There are two main ways to join, either as bursar or as a direct entrant. Joining with a bursary; Apply at the end of your first year, or beginning of your second year, at medical school (you can apply later but you may not finish the application in time to get all the money available to bursars). Finish medical school. Complete your 2 foundation years at a JHG (a hospital that works with the military). Attend the short commissioning course at RMAS. Start work as a General Duties Medical Officer. Joining as a direct entrant; Complete medical school. Complete your 2 foundation years through the national application system. Apply to join the Army no later than the end of your 1st foundation year. Attend the short commissioning course at RMAS. Start work as a General Duties Medical Officer. You may also attend the postgraduate medical officers course between commissioning and starting work, but this is currently being reviewed and I have therefore not included it in the above timelines. At the end of your time as GDMO you will then apply for specialty training in the military, or the NHS, or choose to do something different.

Friday, April 9, 2021

This discussion is closed, so no new comments can be added.

Did you find this discussion helpful?