Picture of How can I become an Army doctor? Will the AOSS cover some costs for my medicine degree? I've heard different things

How can I become an Army doctor? Will the AOSS cover some costs for my medicine degree? I've heard different things

Picture of Tori
1 response

Additional information

I've seen that the Army can pay for a proportion of your degree, but I've also seen that you have to be fully qualified before joining

Selina A. asked a question to Medical

Category: About us

Date asked: Thursday, January 14, 2021

Last reviewed: Friday, January 15, 2021

Picture of Tori C.

Tori C.

Regimental Medical Officer

Hello, You can join the Army while at medical school, or once you are fully qualified (either immediately post FY2, or possibly during specialty training or after CCT). Our website has details on both application methods https://apply.army.mod.uk/roles/army-medical-service/doctor?gclid=EAIaIQobChMI_KH2yIee7gIVC-ztCh1UGQqXEAAYASAAEgKhN_D_BwE&cid=semp5024952400&ef_id=EAIaIQobChMI_KH2yIee7gIVC-ztCh1UGQqXEAAYASAAEgKhN_D_BwE:G:s&s_kwcid=AL!8141!3!384414225501!e!!g!!army%20doctor&gclsrc=aw.ds The bursary you get if you join while at medical school is paid to you in installments of £10,000/year for your final 3 years of university. You then receive a further £45,000 lump sum when you complete the short commissioning course (which you will do after FY2). It is up to you what you use that money for. I hope that helps answer your question. Let me know if I can help with anything else.

Friday, January 15, 2021

This discussion is closed, so no new comments can be added.

Did you find this discussion helpful?