Picture of Can you become a medic in the infantry, if yes, how advanced is medical training for a medic in the infantry? Thank you

Can you become a medic in the infantry, if yes, how advanced is medical training for a medic in the infantry? Thank you

Picture of Tori
1 response

Additional information

When I refer to medic, what I mean is can you become a paratrooper for example, then become a medic; or do you need to be a CMT to do medicine and be attached to a infantry unit?

Anonymous asked a question to Medical

Category: Role Description

Date asked: Friday, May 15, 2020

Last reviewed: Sunday, May 17, 2020

Picture of Tori C.

Tori C.

Regimental Medical Officer

Hello, If you wish to be a CMT attached to an infantry unit then you need to join the Army as a CMT. All CMTs are part of the Royal Army Medical Corps (RAMC) but can be attached to other units. Each time you are posted you will be given a list of the available jobs, you are then able to submit a preference for where you would like to work (for example you could put the infantry units at the top of your list). You won't be guaranteed to get what you ask for, but if you are clinically capable, fit and have had good reports you stand a better chance. There are lots of clinical courses available to CMTs in the Army, and some CMTs may be required to be more clinically advanced than others. For example, CMTs attached to the special forces undergo a lot of extra clinical training. You could theoretically join the Army as a part of the paras/infantry and then apply to transfer to the RAMC as CMT, but this is a slightly longer route. Most soldiers I have met who were infantry beforehand did that role for several years before deciding to apply for a transfer.

Sunday, May 17, 2020

This discussion is closed, so no new comments can be added.

Did you find this discussion helpful?