Picture of Hi, I was wondering if you can train as a CMT, then after a few years retrain as a nurse in the army, thank you

Hi, I was wondering if you can train as a CMT, then after a few years retrain as a nurse in the army, thank you

Picture of Tori
2 responses

Additional information

Is this possible, as I want the excitement of being a medic for a few years a suppose, but I also want decent qualifications after an army career, and to become a nurse

Laura D. asked a question to Medical

Category: Career Advice

Date asked: Thursday, August 15, 2019

Last reviewed: Thursday, October 31, 2019

Picture of Tori C.

Tori C.

Regimental Medical Officer

Hello, You can indeed apply to transfer to nursing if you first join as a CMT, it is not guaranteed, but it is an option you could pursue if you wanted. For information on the grades required for becoming a nurse please see the Army website.

Friday, August 16, 2019

James A.

Reconnaissance Platoon soldier

Laura, Thanks for your question. To train as an army nurse you would need a minimum of 120 UCAS points. You would have passed the required GCSE’ as you would have got in as a CMT. The UCAS points would be required as you study towards a degree in nursing that is paid for by the crown. You will also get paid whilst studying as a nurse. My advice would be to join as a CMT and study A levels whilst serving to gain the required UCAS points, there will be plenty of time to study and there are various schemes of funding provided to service personnel. Hope this helps J

Thursday, October 31, 2019

This discussion is closed, so no new comments can be added.

Did you find this discussion helpful?