Picture of i want to train to become a combat medical technician and wondered if you would advise doing officer training as well?

i want to train to become a combat medical technician and wondered if you would advise doing officer training as well?

Picture of Tori
1 response

Anonymous asked a question to Medical

Category: Career Advice

Date asked: Friday, April 10, 2020

Last reviewed: Monday, April 13, 2020

Picture of Tori C.

Tori C.

Regimental Medical Officer

Hello, Combat medical technicians are primarily soldiers. It is not possible to join the army as an officer and then become a combat medical technician. You could join as a combat medical technician and then later in your career ask to do officer training (not guaranteed), but once you do it you will no longer be a CMT. If you are interested in working with the RAMC, you could look at joining as an officer and becoming a medical support officer. They are not clinicians themselves, but are an important part of the army medical services and work alongside CMTs. Alternatively if you wish to have a clinical role as an officer you could look at becoming a nurse (more information on ways to join as a nurse can be found here https://apply.army.mod.uk/roles/army-medical-service/army-nurse ). Nurses can join as both officers and soldiers. Other clinical officer roles include doctors, dentists, pharmacists and physiotherapists. Let me know if you have any other questions I can help you with.

Monday, April 13, 2020

This discussion is closed, so no new comments can be added.

Did you find this discussion helpful?