I'm not sure at which point I do what

Anonymous asked a question to Medical

Category: Career Advice

Date asked: Saturday, March 13, 2021

Last reviewed: Tuesday, March 1, 2022

Picture of Tori C.

Tori C.

Regimental Medical Officer

Hello, This depends on whether you would like to apply for a bursary or not. Joining with a bursary; Apply at the end of your first year, or beginning of your second year, at medical school (you can apply later but you may not finish the application in time to get all the money available to bursars). Finish medical school. Complete your 2 foundation years at a JHG (a hospital that works with the military). Attend the short commissioning course at RMAS. Start work as a General Duties Medical Officer. Joining as a direct entrant; Complete medical school. Complete your 2 foundation years through the national application system. Apply to join the Army no later than the end of your 1st foundation year. Attend the short commissioning course at RMAS. Start work as a General Duties Medical Officer. You may also attend the postgraduate medical officers course between commissioning and starting work, but this is currently being reviewed and I have therefore not included it in the above timelines. At the end of your time as GDMO you will then apply for specialty training in the military, or the NHS, or choose to do something different.

Friday, April 9, 2021

Ruby R.

Hi Tori, very helpful! Can i apply in my penultimate year, even if i know i won't get any bursary. I would still like to complete my 2 foundation years at a JHG.

Tuesday, March 1, 2022

Picture of Tori C.

Tori C.

Regimental Medical Officer

Hi Ruby, You can apply anytime, but there may be fewer spots available if you apply later than the norm. If you are not too worried about the money, or there aren't any bursary slots left, you can still apply as a direct entrant and apply to work in a JHG as a civilian via the normal foundation programme application route.

Tuesday, March 1, 2022

This discussion is closed, so no new comments can be added.

Did you find this discussion helpful?