Picture of Army nurse to doctor

Army nurse to doctor

Picture of Tori
3 responses

Additional information

Hi, I’m looking at joining the army as a student nurse, I was wondering if post qualification there would be any opportunity to complete a graduate entry medicine degree. Also if this is possible do you have any information you can share with me (pay/university location/tips)

Anonymous asked a question to Tori C.

Category: General

Date asked: Friday, July 17, 2020

Last reviewed: Tuesday, July 21, 2020

Picture of Tori C.

Tori C.

Regimental Medical Officer

Hello, While there are doctors in the military who have previously served in a different role, it is not possible to do a medical degree while in the Army without leaving and reapplying. If you did want to do a graduate entry medical degree then the following is what that pathway may look like. You will need to first complete your return of service following your nursing degree. You must then apply for medical school through the normal route. If you get a place, you would then need to resign from the Army. During your first year at medical school you could reapply to the Army for a bursary, this would provide you with £10,000 each year for the last 3 years of your medical degree. You would be applying alongside other applicants and there is no guarantee you would get it, even if you have previously been in the military. You then complete your foundation years in a JHG (joint military/NHS hospital) and you will be paid an army salary during this time. If you originally joined as a nursing soldier, you will need to complete the short commissioning course. After this you receive the final amount of your bursary (£45000). If you joined as a nursing officer then you will not need to re do the commissioning course. If you are not successful in your application for a bursary then you can apply again during your foundation years as a direct entrant, there is no bonus if you apply via this route. More details on the bursary can be found here https://apply.army.mod.uk/roles/army-medical-service/doctor I hope that helps.

Monday, July 20, 2020

Anonymous

Hi. Thank you that is very useful, what is the army salary I’d be paid during my foundation years?

Monday, July 20, 2020

Picture of Tori C.

Tori C.

Regimental Medical Officer

Good question, I've had a look for the answer but I'm not too sure (I joined as a direct entrant). https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/902421/CCS0520587976-001_00_AFPRB_2020_Web_Accessible.pdf If you look at Annex A, table 1.18 on page 78, I would guess that is the salary for FY1s, I am not sure if FY2s then go onto the OF2 pay scale in table 1.17 (that is the pay scale you will go on after you commission after you finish FY2). It could be worth asking the AMS recruiting office, their contact details can be found on the following website; https://www.army.mod.uk/who-we-are/corps-regiments-and-units/army-medical-services/

Tuesday, July 21, 2020

This discussion is closed, so no new comments can be added.

Did you find this discussion helpful?