Picture of What is the process of applying to the army half way through medical school?

What is the process of applying to the army half way through medical school?

Picture of Tori
1 response

Anonymous asked a question to Medical

Category: Role Description

Date asked: Wednesday, March 10, 2021

Last reviewed: Wednesday, March 10, 2021

Picture of Tori C.

Tori C.

Regimental Medical Officer

Hello, Hopefully you have already read the page on being an army doctor which includes some useful information on the bursary. https://apply.army.mod.uk/roles/army-medical-service/doctor The application process is very similar to the normal officer application process, there is lots of detail on this on the website. The application process will vary slightly for medical officers, and how this varies has changed over the past few years, so I am afraid my experience may not be the most up to date! Your candidate support manager (you will be assigned someone during the application process) will be able to guide you on the most up to date pathway for medical officers. Roughly speaking expect to undertake the following; Initial interview - this is just to say hello and ask a few questions. I believe this is currently done online. My interview simply asked what I wanted to do (join as a doctor), why I wanted to join, and they checked my BMI and a few other basic pre requisites. Army Officer Selection Board - this is the biggest step, and one which I believe has changed for medical officers, you used to attend both briefing and main board, but I believe MOs now only do main board. If you get offered the chance to do a briefing board I would highly recommend it as it makes main board less daunting. Briefing board takes place over a couple of days and is done with all potential officers. Main board takes longer and you are usually in a group with other professionally qualified officers. Entry medical - I think I had my medical before briefing board. It's a straight forward assessment which involves a review of your medical record, a top to toe examination, ECG, hearing screening and visual acuity. AMS interview - this is where joining as an MO differs from regular officers, we need to get into the AMS before we are offered a job (regular officers do this step while they are on the commissioning course). This is the most important step for MOs, and the most competitive stage. My main advice would be to be yourself and remember that they aren't looking for the finished product, they are looking for potential. I hope that helps, apologies I am not up to date on the current pathway, but I expect it won't differ too much from the above. Please let me know if you have any other questions. Best of luck with your application.

Wednesday, March 10, 2021

This discussion is closed, so no new comments can be added.

Did you find this discussion helpful?