Picture of do guys with long hair have to have it shaved or are they allowed to have it tied?

do guys with long hair have to have it shaved or are they allowed to have it tied?

5 responses

Anonymous asked a question to British Army

Category: Role Description

Date asked: Saturday, August 10, 2019

Last reviewed: Saturday, March 7, 2020

Georgina Z.

Marketing Manager

Hi, current Army dress and appearance policy (Queens Regulations) state men have to have short hair, except for religious reasons and then it would need to be tied up. This is the relevant section: Personal Appearance 5.366. a. Hair. (1) Males. The hair of the head is to be kept well cut and trimmed, except where authority has been granted otherwise on religious grounds; style and colour (if not natural) is not to be of an exaggerated nature. If a moustache is worn, it is to be trimmed and not below the line of the lower lip. Beards and whiskers are only to be worn with authority, which will usually be granted only on medical or religious grounds, or where tradition permits. The appearance of the beard and whiskers is to be neat and tidy. Sideburns are not to descend below the mid point of the ear and are to be trimmed horizontally. I hope that this helps. Sorry if you want to join and have long hair as currently you would have to have it short.

Tuesday, August 20, 2019

Anonymous

Why are women allowed longer hair than men if they are in the same role? Surely there is no operational reason for having it short, that's inequlity

Friday, January 17, 2020

Georgina Z.

Marketing Manager

Hi, currently these are our current dress regulations which we continually review to determine if they are fit for purpose. The Army has a long tradition of dress standards and appearance with the aim to look uniform and this is how the Army wants to do this. Maybe in the future things will change but currently this is our policy. It does put some people off, I like wearing my long hair down but I have to have it in a bun everyday for work. Personally, I enjoy looking like this at work and then changing my appearance when out of uniform. I do understand that it can be quite hard to be an individual with such strict appearance rules but for me I like not having to think about what to wear or how to style my hair in the mornings when I am trying to get out of the door for work! I hope this doesn't put you off considering a career in the Army, it is worth the hair cut!!!

Thursday, February 13, 2020

Marlene R.

Where are you aloud to have tattoos ?

Friday, February 21, 2020

Picture of Katie

Katie

Staff Officer - Projects for People

Hi Marlene, The original service rules restricted tattoos on the hands, neck and face, essentially places that were visible whilst wearing uniform, however in 2014 the rules on tattoos were relaxed. A change to the Queen's regulations means that body art can now be displayed on the hands and rear of the neck, but still not the front of the neck, the head or the face. Essentially no tattoos that could be seen in a passport photo. If any of your tattoos, in any location of your body, are offensive, obscene or racist then they will stop you joining the Army. It is worth baring in mind that if you ever wish to attempt special forces selection you may want to skip the body art in obvious places (like hands and the back of the neck) as distinguishing features will preclude you from selection. Katie

Saturday, March 7, 2020

This discussion is closed, so no new comments can be added.

Did you find this discussion helpful?