Picture of The first time when you where deploying, where you not afraid of anything?

The first time when you where deploying, where you not afraid of anything?

Picture of Katie
4 responses

Gibson L. asked a question to Combat

Category: Medical

Date asked: Thursday, September 12, 2019

Last reviewed: Thursday, September 12, 2019

Picture of Katie

Katie

Staff Officer - Projects for People

That is a really good question and something I definitely thought about before I first deployed. I was certainly nervous but I wouldn’t say I was afraid. I was nervous about doing my job for real and the outcome being so important, going to an unknown place, and being away from my friends and family. More than anything though, I was excited! Let compare it to being a Doctor; Could you imagine completing all that training and never getting to look after a patient. The Army will provide you with all the training and experience you need to be able to complete your job, so by the time it comes to you deploying on operations you’ll be more than ready and more than likely really excited about the challenge it will present. I have learnt so much on each and every one of my deployments and they have without doubt made me a better officer and soldier. I hope this answers your question but if not please come back to me. Katie

Thursday, September 12, 2019

Gibson L.

How was your experience when you started the army training?

Picture of Katie

Katie

Staff Officer - Projects for People

I went through training at the Royal Military Academy Sandhurst and can honestly say I loved it! Don’t get me wrong, there were some really challenging and testing times that pushed us well outside our comfort zones, but overcoming those challenges was so rewarding. The friends you make in training will be lifelong friends; you’ll know each other inside out and share some great memories. They end up being more like family. The training itself is really diverse, you’ll get fit, learn loads of new skills and gain qualifications along the way, that goes for any of the Army’s training establishments.

James A.

Reconnaissance Platoon soldier

Hi Gibson, thank you for your question. My first overseas deployment was to to the jungle where I conducted jungle warfare training. I was quite fortunate that I deployed 4 days after completing my training at the Infantry training centre, I had very little notice and very little time to think about it. Also, being very keen due to just leaving training I was very excited that this would kick start my Infantry career. Operations are very different as you get a lot of notice along with 6-12 months training depending on the operation and the role you will play on deployment. I wouldn’t say afraid would be the best description but anxious in to what to expect, I hope this answers your question J

This discussion is closed, so no new comments can be added.

Did you find this discussion helpful?