British Army
Experience with anxiety
Picture of Tori
1 response
Additional information
Hi, hope you're well. Thanks for taking the time to read this. I was diagnosed with generalised anxiety disorder due to panic attacks. Initially prescribed three days of Diazepam, followed by a year on 20mg Citalopram. Been 3 years medication free and feeling great! No history whatsoever of self harm or depression. I know you can't give a definite answer but based on your experience, do you think there's any chance I'd be able to join up? Gradute. Thanks so much!
Milan Y. asked a question to Tori C.
Category: Medical
Date asked: Wednesday, April 22, 2020
Last reviewed: Thursday, April 23, 2020
Picture of Tori C.
Tori C.
Regimental Medical Officer
Hello, You are right in thinking we are unable to answer individual medical enquires here. Unfortunately the entry medicals are done by Capita doctors, not military doctors, and therefore I do not have access to the most up to date entry criteria in regards to generalised anxiety disorder. However, GAD itself is not an automatic reason for you to fail your medical. You are likely to meet the criteria in terms of the amount of time you have been off treatment, however they will also need to take into account the length of your treatment, whether there were any triggers (life stressors) that predated your symptoms and whether you have had any similar episodes in the past. Good luck with your application!
Thursday, April 23, 2020
This discussion is closed, so no new comments can be added.
Did you find this discussion helpful?