Picture of Can British Dual citizen (Thai and British) serve in the British army

Can British Dual citizen (Thai and British) serve in the British army

Picture of Katie
1 response

Additional information

All healthy Thai males are entered into a lottery for national service which will be pulled out at 21 to determine if you are to serve. Would this possibility to serve prevent me from joining the army as I have poor Thai speaking skills and not a permeant resident there which will be taken into consideration if I'm eligible. I want to join the British Army more than the Thai but I really want to keep my citizenship

Augustin S. asked a question to Combat

Category: Eligibility

Date asked: Monday, May 18, 2020

Last reviewed: Wednesday, May 20, 2020

Picture of Katie

Katie

Staff Officer - Projects for People

Hi Augustin, Thanks for your question. I am afraid we cannot comment on your ability to be released from potential National Service in Thailand, you would need to speak to your local authorities to get an answer on that. What I can say, is that if Thailand are willing to release you from National Service, and you have duel British citizenship then you would be able to apply to join the British Army, and I do not believe you would be required to surrender your Thai citizenship to do so. The first step needs to be finding out it the Thai authorities will allow you to be released from the National Service Lottery. Good luck. Katie

Wednesday, May 20, 2020

This discussion is closed, so no new comments can be added.

Did you find this discussion helpful?