Picture of Good day sir I'm ex military served in the Jamaican defense force, can I now serve in the British army? yes how

Good day sir I'm ex military served in the Jamaican defense force, can I now serve in the British army? yes how

Picture of Katie
2 responses

Additional information

I'm currently seeking some clarity sir

Ryon A. asked a question to British Army

Category: Eligibility

Date asked: Wednesday, October 2, 2019

Last reviewed: Thursday, April 23, 2020

Jake P.

Team Leader and Bugler

Ryon, I am unsure on the current status on your precise Question however my understanding is that you can apply, I’m sure your Service in the Jamaican Defence Force will help but I pretty sure you will have to complete the whole of the British Army training for Solider and trade. My best advice is contact the National Recruitment Centre and enquire more with them.

Monday, October 14, 2019

Picture of Katie

Katie

Staff Officer - Projects for People

Hi Ryon, Thanks for your question. Currently if you are British, Irish, or from a Commonwealth country (which Jamaica is) you can apply to join the British Army. You don’t need UK citizenship or residency. Places and roles for Commonwealth soldiers are limited but once you register your interest the recruitment team will contact you and let you know your options. If you want to naturalise while you're serving, you'll need to pay all the costs and make sure you meet the Home Office's requirements. Your British service can count towards the residency part of the requirements. If you’re from a Commonwealth country and wish for your family to join you, you must meet the immigration rules and be able to pay for their visa and travel costs. For your family to come to the UK, you and your family must meet the minimum income and English language requirements. You should talk to your recruiter about your immigration circumstances and they will explain all the details. Jake is right, you would have to complete all the British Army training if you decide to sign up, but I’m sure having been in the Jamaican Defence Force you’ll fly right through it! I hope this helps but please feel free to come back to me if you’d like to know more. Katie

Thursday, April 23, 2020

This discussion is closed, so no new comments can be added.

Did you find this discussion helpful?