Picture of Am I able to join as in the reserves and then transfer to regulars?

Am I able to join as in the reserves and then transfer to regulars?

Picture of Tori
1 response

Additional information

I am intending to do a medical degree and aim to get a medical bursary while doing my degree, can I join the reserves for the years in between? I'm either interested in Military Intelligence or Combat Medical Technician in the reserves.

Neah J. asked during the live chat Discover different roles in the Army to British Army

Category: Eligibility

Date asked: Wednesday, June 10, 2020

Last reviewed: Friday, June 12, 2020

Picture of Tori C.

Tori C.

Regimental Medical Officer

Hi Neah, I have several friends who were in the reserves while at medical school and then joined the regulars as doctors. To transfer you need to have done AOSB (if you join as a CMT you would be a soldier, so you would need to re apply down the officer pathway) and you would need to undergo a transfer interview/AMS interview - getting particularly competitive now for potential army doctors. I am not sure if you can be in the reserves and have a bursary, it's worth discussing that with the recruitment office in more detail. Have you considered applying for a bursary and joining the OTC while at university instead? That is quite a popular option amongst my colleagues who have a bursary (or were cadets on the old scheme).

Friday, June 12, 2020

This discussion is closed, so no new comments can be added.

Did you find this discussion helpful?