Picture of Hi Greg, what is the difference between policing duties and the intelligence role?

Hi Greg, what is the difference between policing duties and the intelligence role?

Picture of Greg
1 response

Anonymous asked a question to Greg H.

Category: Role Comparison

Date asked: Wednesday, August 26, 2020

Last reviewed: Thursday, August 27, 2020

Picture of Greg H.

Greg H.

Royal Military Police NCO

Hello, The Royal Military Police follows the same National Intelligence Model as our civilian counterparts. This means that we are regularly feeding intelligence to other policing agencies and vice versa. The intelligence role at a local level within the RMP is all about identifying crime trends and identifying who the main offenders are in the area. This allows us to build up a picture of what is happening in our area and target our resources accordingly. It does not stop there though; nationally we also build up cross border pictures and liaise with partner agencies where applicable to prevent and detect crime and deter offenders. There is so much to the intelligence world that I can not go into on here. Policing duties is exactly that. Getting into uniform, going out on patrol and doing what you would expect of someone in a police force. This is where we all start and some people decide to stay. This is the main part of police work and probably accounts for more than 75% of our work force. I know this is for the most part quite a vague answer but I hope it gives you some of an idea what the differences are.

Thursday, August 27, 2020

This discussion is closed, so no new comments can be added.

Did you find this discussion helpful?