Picture of what if i am transgender?

what if i am transgender?

Picture of Dorian
Picture of Sarah
2 responses

Additional information

I am transgender male to female I currently identify as a female with family, friends & current work colleagues that call me by my preferred name, however I am on the waiting list for the gender clinic and have not under gone any hormone treatment and I am pre op. would I still have to identify as a male? and how can the army help and support me though my gender change? During training is there any support for me with separate changing/shower rooms? along with any mental support if needed? from what I have read the arrangement to sleep and wash there is only option for male and female however this would be extremely uncomfortable for myself.

Anonymous asked a question to Sarah R.

Category: Diversity

Date asked: Wednesday, September 23, 2020

Last reviewed: Tuesday, October 20, 2020

Picture of Dorian T.

Dorian T.

Regimental Engagement & Mentor Support Officer (ReMSO

The Army do not discriminate on ethnicity or gender, but there are conditions as to what stage of transition you are when applying to join. My advice would be to make an application and the clinical triage will assist. Good luck.

Tuesday, October 13, 2020

Picture of Sarah R.

Sarah R.

SQMS Accomodation NCO

Hello and thank you for asking a question. Already an answer has been given but if you would like more advice please contact the Army LGBT+ Forum on http://armylgbt.org.uk/committee/ from here you will be able to get all the advice you will need to progress further with your application. Most of us who are trans and serving have transitioned after joining. We are very much supported and respected, this is improving all the time. The medical system is great both physical and mental and I have never be found wanting or feel like I cannot get help when needed. As I have already explained I cannot really give clear information on how training will be like during transition but I can say that in a field unit I have lived in SLAM accommodation consisting of single person room with on-suite bathroom. I do hope that this has been useful to yourself and I hope you are successful in joining.

Tuesday, October 20, 2020

This discussion is closed, so no new comments can be added.

Did you find this discussion helpful?