Picture of Hiya Abbie, I’d quite like to apply for a HR or Police officer, will getting my grades first be better to stand out?

Hiya Abbie, I’d quite like to apply for a HR or Police officer, will getting my grades first be better to stand out?

Picture of Jen
1 response

Additional information

I’d like to leave at christmas before my exams because i don’t enjoy school and would rather do something i do enjoy but i don’t know whether i should get my qualifications first?

Anonymous asked a question to British Army

Category: Career Advice

Date asked: Sunday, October 3, 2021

Last reviewed: Tuesday, October 5, 2021

Picture of Jen C.

Jen C.

Reservist Brigade SO2 SPS

Hi, you can't join the army until you have completed GCSEs. Getting the best grades you can get at school will open up more options to joining different trades in the Army. If you leave with nothing, you will really limit yourself to job choices (you won't actually be able to apply for the military police for example!). My advice, stick with it - you don't have much longer and your grades last with you for the rest of your life! This part of your life, although feels longer than a long thing, is actually so, so short!!!! Look for the small things about school that you do enjoy (even if it's just hanging out with friends) and try and stick with it!!! Having spent 9 years teaching soldiers, so many of them said if they could turn the clock back and do better at school they would! Just bear with it and knuckle down for a few months - it'll be over before you know it, and hopefully you'll surprise yourself!

Tuesday, October 5, 2021

This discussion is closed, so no new comments can be added.

Did you find this discussion helpful?