Picture of Is it possible for a woman to become a sniper?

Is it possible for a woman to become a sniper?

Picture of Jen
3 responses

Additional information

I'm considering joining the British army and I would like to consider a career as a sniper but some of the people around me that I have asked said that I could not because I am a woman and wears glasses. I am a pretty good shot and I never shoot with my glasses

Anonymous asked a question to Infantry

Category: Diversity

Date asked: Tuesday, October 12, 2021

Last reviewed: Tuesday, October 12, 2021

Picture of Jen C.

Jen C.

Reservist Brigade SO2 SPS

Hi, great question. As yet there are no female snipers but that may change over time. The Infantry has only relatively recently become an option for women and it could still be too soon for a female to have been in the infantry long enough to be eligible for the snipers course. To be a sniper you will have to be pass various tests including fitness, map reading and an aptitude test to be selected to attend the 9 wk sniper course. The course is known to be one of the hardest courses in the British Army due to only selecting the best soldiers to hold the ‘sniper’ status.

Tuesday, October 12, 2021

Karla E.

@Jen C. Thank you for clearing that up and for your fast response. I can only hope and work toward my goal at this point, preparing for when that change comes.

James A.

Reconnaissance Platoon soldier

Just to add to the above, with all roles open to women I’m sure it’s just a matter of time before there are women snipers in the British army. We in the welsh guards alone have a handful of female soldiers who are doing brilliant in their roles within battalion. With regards to glasses, with the sniper course being an extremely arduous course with shooting at various ranges being your bread and butter. Eyesight I can guess being a part of the pre course medical. I’m not 100% but you will only only if you try! Goodluck in your future within the military

This discussion is closed, so no new comments can be added.

Did you find this discussion helpful?