Picture of I’m interested in joining the King’s Troop RHA. What is a day like in that role when you’re not doing ceremonial duties?

I’m interested in joining the King’s Troop RHA. What is a day like in that role when you’re not doing ceremonial duties?

Picture of LCoH Ashley
1 response

Sarah-Jayne R. asked a question to LCoH Ashley O.

Category: Role Description

Date asked: Sunday, June 12, 2022

Last reviewed: Tuesday, June 14, 2022

Picture of LCoH Ashley O.

LCoH Ashley O.

Recruiting Co-Ordinator at ACC Norwich

Good Afternoon Sarah-Jayne and thanks for your question. Whilst i can't tell you from personal experience within the Kings Troop, I can tell you a bit about what we do in the Household Cavalry instead as we have a similar role working with horses. In the Household Cavalry we have a large number of horses based in Knightsbridge, central London which are cared for by our Household Cavalry soldiers on a daily basis. Generally, the day begins with mucking out the horses and getting them ready for exercise first thin in the morning. Once the horses and riders are ready, we head out on something called a watering order. This is essentially a walk/trot exercise around the streets of central London (something quite surreal to some of the tourists!) and Hyde Park too since it's right on our doorstep of the camp gates. Following this, if there are any other horses which require different exercises then they will be taken out into Hyde park for a ride during the day. As well as this, if you've gained a good enough ability, you could find yourself training your own horse to compete in some of the military competitions which take place fairly regularly. So some of your day could be taken up taking care of your own horse and training it too. As well as this, your day can change so much, from taking part in ceremonial duties such as the Queens Life Guard, you could be doing some sports, other physical training, or keeping up your military skills too. The opportunities really are endless and there will always be room to try new things and improve your skills if you choose to. I hope this helps, if you have any more questions then i'll be more than happy to help.

Tuesday, June 14, 2022

This discussion is closed, so no new comments can be added.

Did you find this discussion helpful?