Picture of What do you need to do if you want to join with no army/ cadet experience but want to join the intelligence/ cyber side

What do you need to do if you want to join with no army/ cadet experience but want to join the intelligence/ cyber side

Picture of Frank
Picture of Leah
2 responses

Leah B. asked a question to Communications, Intelligence and IT

Date asked: Tuesday, October 24, 2023

Last reviewed: Wednesday, October 25, 2023

Picture of Frank R.

Frank R.

Networking, Cyber Security, IT

Hi Leah, Thank you for your message. If I'm understanding your question correctly, you don't actually need any previous army/cadet experience to join the armed forces. Every soldier will undergo basic training (and take you from zero to hero), and then further trade training depending on what trade you have chosen. In this case, that would either be in the Intelligence Corps or the Royal Corps of Signals. The latter being mine. These are the ones that are most aligned to Cyber-related activities and grant the most opportunities to gain those skill-sets (although it is not exclusive to just these two). You do not need any previous experience (although some I.T. skills will help initially), as just like with everything, the Army will train you to the required standard needed for the tasks/job role in hand. And provide assistance and financial support for further personal/academic development should you want to. There is also a bespoke pathway to gain those fundamental Cyber skills as a gateway to more pinch-point cyber roles with more technical knowledge requirements which subsequently lead to more 'focused' roles in more high-pressured environments. Hope that helps somewhat Leah, need anything else just reply to this post. All the best, Frank

Wednesday, October 25, 2023

Picture of Leah B.

Leah B.

That is amazing thank you :)

Wednesday, October 25, 2023

This discussion is closed, so no new comments can be added.

Did you find this discussion helpful?