Picture of Do I have to be of English citizenship to become a soldier?Do you offer accommodation

Do I have to be of English citizenship to become a soldier?Do you offer accommodation

Picture of Katie
1 response

Anonymous asked a question to Combat

Category: Eligibility

Date asked: Saturday, September 21, 2019

Last reviewed: Tuesday, September 24, 2019

Picture of Katie

Katie

Staff Officer - Projects for People

Hi there, Currently if you are British, Irish, or from a Commonwealth country you can apply to join the British Army. You don’t need UK citizenship or residency. Places and roles for Commonwealth soldiers are limited but once you register your interest the recruitment team will contact you and let you know your options. If you want to naturalise while you're serving, you'll need to pay all the costs and make sure you meet the Home Office's requirements. Your service can count towards the residency part of the requirements. The Army will also offer you accommodation throughout your career. If you are single you’ll live in Single Living Accommodation (SLA), which generally consists of a single man, en-suite room, in a block with a shared communal kitchen and living space. If you are married, it will be Service Families Accommodation (SFA), this will he a flat or house, the size of which varies depending on your requirement and rank. If you’re from a Commonwealth country and wish for your family to join you, you must meet the immigration rules and be able to pay for their visa and travel costs. For your family to come to the UK, you and your family must meet the minimum income and English language requirements. You should talk to your recruiter about your immigration circumstances and they will explain all the details. I hope this helps but please feel free to come back to me if you’d like to know more. Katie

Tuesday, September 24, 2019

This discussion is closed, so no new comments can be added.

Did you find this discussion helpful?