Picture of I wondered if male Junior Soldiers at AFC Harrogate still all get their head shaved or does that not happen anymore?

I wondered if male Junior Soldiers at AFC Harrogate still all get their head shaved or does that not happen anymore?

Picture of Greg
4 responses

Anonymous asked a question to British Army

Category: Role Description

Date asked: Sunday, September 22, 2019

Last reviewed: Tuesday, January 21, 2020

Alfie W.

RLC Nurturing Team NCO

In the First 6 weeks of training you will be given a hair cut of a grade 1 all over, after the initial 6 weeks you will be expected to have a smart and professional hair cut.

Tuesday, September 24, 2019

Picture of Greg H.

Greg H.

Royal Military Police NCO

Hi Alfie, All male recruits at the commencement of training will be given a short haircut. I have heard that the reason for this is it brings everyone to the same level in appearance. You may not realise it, but by doing this it enables recruits to form a closer bond. The Army wants everyone to develop and grow as one through basic training and I suppose this is a good way of subliminally helping with this.

Monday, January 13, 2020

Marlee C.

do females get their heads shaved can i opt to have it done when i join?

Monday, January 20, 2020

Picture of Greg H.

Greg H.

Royal Military Police NCO

Marlee, females do not need to have their heads shaved however, if you wish to have it done then I am sure it will not be a problem. I know it has happened in the past. Greg

Tuesday, January 21, 2020

This discussion is closed, so no new comments can be added.

Did you find this discussion helpful?