Picture of Hi Ross! Im a Dual British citizen from America. I want to be an officer but have no A levels or GCSES. What can I do??

Hi Ross! Im a Dual British citizen from America. I want to be an officer but have no A levels or GCSES. What can I do??

1 response

Anonymous asked a question to British Army

Category: Eligibility

Date asked: Monday, January 27, 2020

Last reviewed: Monday, February 3, 2020

Zoe O.

Corporal, Adjutant General's Corps, Staff and Personnel Support AGC(SPS).

Hello! Thanks for your question. The requirements to be a British Army officer do require GCSEs and some UCAS points at A level or equivalent and that is the set standard. The alternative would be to join the Army as a soldier, join a trade those does not require any previous formal qualifications, work your way up the soldier ranks whilst gaining qualifications on the way required to be an officer, then you could look at Direct Entry commissioning from the ranks if still within the age bracket or Late Entry. Direct Entry means you will go through the full officer selection process and attend RMAS for the 44 weeks and commission as a Second Lieutenant. Late Entry is straight from the soldier ranks with a different selection process without the full 44 weeks at Sandhurst and you commission straight to Late Entry Captain. To go late entry officer, you must reach a certain rank and be over a certain age. To late entry commission in my role which is within the Staff and Personnel Branch, Adjutant General's Corps, you must be at least a sergeant and a minimum age of 30. I hope this makes things more clear? If I was you I would go to your local Army careers office and have a chat with one of our recruiters. All the best. Zoe

Monday, February 3, 2020

This discussion is closed, so no new comments can be added.

Did you find this discussion helpful?