What do you do in a day to day bases in the rlc as a driver

4 responses

Anonymous asked a question to Logistics

Category: Day to Day

Date asked: Sunday, February 23, 2020

Last reviewed: Friday, May 22, 2020

Georgina Z.

Marketing Manager

Hi, I commanded RLC drivers for over five years as a captain. In barracks the daily routine would consist of an hour of physical training, followed by a break, then drivers would go to the troops and the troop senior non-commissioned officer would tell the section commanders (corporals) the list of tasks that would need to be completed for the day. This would usually involve servicing and maintaining the vehicles and working closely with the Royal Electrical and Mechanical Engineers to get this done. In between these tasks, RLC drivers would conduct trade training. This would consist of learning and developing skills such as map reading, driving using GPS, route cards, driving skills such as cross country and driving through vulnerable areas such as built up areas, recovery of broken down vehicles, driver safety, refuelling, loading and unloading vehicles and so on. In addition, RLC drivers would also learn and further develop their green (soldiering) skills such as shooting, infantry skills such as moving under fire and assaulting enemy positions, tactics (planning for operations) and lots more. They would also undertake personal development such as their apprenticeship and functional skills work (usually maths and English depending on the level attained in school). And at some point in the week or month depending on how busy the unit is they would most probably go and play sport at various levels or conduct some adventurous training. There is so much more and such variety that you would never be bored, plus you have a lunch break to fit in!!! I may be a bit biased but RLC drivers has a fantastic career with lots of opportunity to diversify and learn a variety of sills and qualifications. Plus you get lots of qualifications and all your driving licences. Please feel free to ask me as many questions about the RLC as you want.

Wednesday, February 26, 2020

Barry T.

How do the reserves fit in to this day to day role? I am an HGV driver by trade and have applied to join the reserves because of my age bracket, but was wondering what might be involved from a reserve point of view as I am thinking that this might suit me better than civi street!

Tuesday, May 19, 2020

NaNa E.

how would you apply as a commonwealth member?

Thursday, May 21, 2020

Gemma Y.

Outreach Team Leader

It varies on a daily basis, ranging from Physical training. Vehicle maintenance, driver training. RLC drivers has a fantastic career with lots of opportunity to diversify and learn a variety of sills and qualifications.

Friday, May 22, 2020

This discussion is closed, so no new comments can be added.

Did you find this discussion helpful?