Picture of As a combat soldier on a day to day basis ,what do you do?

As a combat soldier on a day to day basis ,what do you do?

Picture of Steven
2 responses

Additional information

I’m someone who doesn’t like sitting around and would rather have a job that’s got me on my feet all day, would you recommend this role for someone like me?

Anonymous asked a question to Combat

Category: Day to Day

Date asked: Wednesday, March 25, 2020

Last reviewed: Saturday, March 28, 2020

Picture of Steven R.

Steven R.

Light-role Infantryman

If you are looking for the kind of job role that keeps you on your feet, I would highly recommend a career in the Infantry. There may be others on here that could offer insight to the schedule of their different roles, but as a whole the Infantry make up for the largest portion of the British Army's operational capability. Within the Infantry as a whole there are constant deployments around the world, adventure training: skydiving, kayaking, skiing, you name it, and there is a whole plethora of courses that will help both you and the British Army. When you find yourself with not much to do, you will easily be able to find something worth doing, even a good hour of physical training with your mates. For myself, if I'm not deployed or on a course etc., I will typically have physical training in the morning with my Company and for the rest of the day there can be lessons or tasks like servicing vehicles and weapons or helping out at the stores. I hope this is of some help for you, feel free to ask any furthur questions.

Saturday, March 28, 2020

James A.

Reconnaissance Platoon soldier

It depends on the unit and what their forecast is. As lightrole infantry, we don’t have a fleet of vehicles that constantly need maintaining, so once your physical training is done for the day. You could have for example, a map reading or weapon handling lesson etc. If your not deployed or currently training to be deployed, you could be on a course, doing adventurous training or playing sport. There are varied periods where you will be extremely busy and also periods where you could be having downtime at home with family and friends etc. As I said, it varies and depends on the unit and your role in unit etc. J

Saturday, March 28, 2020

This discussion is closed, so no new comments can be added.

Did you find this discussion helpful?