Picture of How much opportunity is there within the AAC to apply as an NCO pilot?

How much opportunity is there within the AAC to apply as an NCO pilot?

6 responses

Joe K. asked a question to British Army

Category: Role Description

Date asked: Saturday, March 21, 2020

Last reviewed: Monday, March 23, 2020

Madeline J.

Wildcat Pilot

Hi Joe, Thanks for your question. There's plenty of scope for NCOs to become pilots in the AAC regardless of what capbadge you are originally in. The requirements are as follows: - Minimum rank of LCpl with recommendation to Cpl - Under 29 yrs old and be able to start training by 30 - Be able to pass the three stage selection process of Aptitude Testing, Aircrew Medical and Flying Grading. I hope that makes sense. Please let me know if you have any further questions. Maddie

Sunday, March 22, 2020

Joe K.

Maddie, Thank you for the reply. So there would be no distinct advantage to applying from within the AAC as opposed to another capbadge? Also what is involved in the Aircrew Medical? Joe

Sunday, March 22, 2020

Madeline J.

Wildcat Pilot

Hi Joe, That's correct, there is no advantage applying from a particular capbadge as far as I am aware. The application process for NCO pilot is the same regardless of where you come from. Of course if you come from AAC you will already have a working knowledge of the Corps but this won't have much bearing on the flying side. The aircrew medical is a more in depth version of the standard Army application medical. Assessment of your general health (hearing, eyesight, review of medical records etc.) Your height, weight and limb measurments will be taken to ensure you will fit comfortably inside the cockpit. If you have any major medical issues they will be discussed at this time too. I hope that helps answer your questions. Let me know if I can help any further. Maddie

Sunday, March 22, 2020

Joe K.

Maddie, Please could you confirm that a successful CBAT would not expire when applying to the AAC, and could be transferred over if taken with the RAF? Thank you for the response, Joe

Sunday, March 22, 2020

Madeline J.

Wildcat Pilot

Hi Joe, I'm honestly not 100% sure on the answer to that. I believe that you can transfer it across if you've initially taken it via the RAF but I'm a bit out of touch as it's been a while since I went through. For a definite answer your best bet would be to contact the AAC recruiting team via the Army website. I hope that helps, Maddie

Monday, March 23, 2020

Joe K.

Thank you for all the answers, much appreciated Joe

Monday, March 23, 2020

This discussion is closed, so no new comments can be added.

Did you find this discussion helpful?