Picture of Are there any jobs which don’t require travelling, and you can work only from the UK?

Are there any jobs which don’t require travelling, and you can work only from the UK?

Picture of Katie
3 responses

Melisa G. asked a question to Combat

Category: Open positions

Date asked: Sunday, April 19, 2020

Last reviewed: Sunday, April 19, 2020

Picture of Katie

Katie

Staff Officer - Projects for People

Hi Melisa, Thanks for your question. All regular army soldiers are required to be able to deploy overseas when they join the Army. Once you are assigned to your unit you can request flexible working for a period of time which, if approved, can keep you UK based but will effect pay and pension. Another option is to join the Reserves and look for a Full Time Reserve Service (FTRS) role which sees you work in the UK (Home Only - HO). That said, do think about deploying. Going overseas with the Army, on Operations, exercises, adventurous training and battlefield studies has provided me with some fantastic opportunities for learning, development and fun! I hope this answers your question, but please come back to me if not. Katie

Sunday, April 19, 2020

Melisa G.

Thank you Katie. I am really interested in joining the army but i think working from the UK would be more beneficial. I am looking at going for an engineering role, are there any engineering jobs which do not require deployment?

Sunday, April 19, 2020

Picture of Katie

Katie

Staff Officer - Projects for People

Hi Melisa, There are not any engineering jobs which I know of which don’t require deployment. Although the British Army contributes to many tasks in the UK, our other roles include deploying overseas to prevent conflict, deal with disasters, assist in capacity building, and conduct war fighting operations. What makes the British Army so successful is that we are a force which is agile, adaptable, and constantly ready to deploy, so going overseas will always be a huge part of what we do. Perhaps you could look at UK based roles in the civil service who support the armed forces, or a defence contractor who is UK based if going overseas is really not for you?

Sunday, April 19, 2020

This discussion is closed, so no new comments can be added.

Did you find this discussion helpful?