Picture of If I have laser eye surgery, can I still apply to be an Apache pilot? Does the AAC accept it?

If I have laser eye surgery, can I still apply to be an Apache pilot? Does the AAC accept it?

Picture of Katie
4 responses

Additional information

I am unsure about whether the army would accept me with my current eyesight (which is -1.50) and so I am considering laser eye surgery, however, I am unsure if the AAC accepts it. Would really appreciate your advice, thank you!

Daisy I. asked a question to Combat

Category: Medical

Date asked: Sunday, April 19, 2020

Last reviewed: Monday, April 20, 2020

Picture of Katie

Katie

Staff Officer - Projects for People

Hi Daisy, The AAC can accept candidates who wear glasses, with a lens power between -0.75 to +1.75. Laser eye surgery is acceptable if done by PRK, LASEK or LASIK but the pre-surgery refraction must not exceed -5.00 to +2.00 diopters. However, Medical standards do change so it is best to contact your local recruiter, or fill out the interest form online and raise the question to them when they get back to you. I hope this helps. Katie

Sunday, April 19, 2020

Daisy I.

Thank you so much, this has been really helpful. I will fill out an interest form today!

Monday, April 20, 2020

Madeline J.

Wildcat Pilot

Hi Daisy, Thanks so much for your question. I completely echo what Katie has said in terms of the requirements for the AAC. I do know that there is a delay between having the procedure done and being allowed to start flying training so it's worth asking your local recruiter for more information about this as it could impact your plans. (I believe it's a two year delay.) I hope that helps. Best of luck with your application. Maddie

Monday, April 20, 2020

Daisy I.

Thank you for informing me of the delay. I will definitely check with my local recruiter. I really appreciate the advice from both of you, it’s been really helpful! Many thanks, Daisy

Monday, April 20, 2020

This discussion is closed, so no new comments can be added.

Did you find this discussion helpful?