Picture of If I train for a new role would any pay rises that I'd gained from rank or otherwise be reset

If I train for a new role would any pay rises that I'd gained from rank or otherwise be reset

Picture of Steven
3 responses

Additional information

For example, being in a role for several years then moving to something with a substantially long training period.

Sam M. asked a question to Combat

Category: Salary

Date asked: Wednesday, April 29, 2020

Last reviewed: Thursday, April 30, 2020

Picture of Steven R.

Steven R.

Light-role Infantryman

Hi Sam, I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong, but as far as I am aware you cannot take a cut in pay. As for the rank you achieve in you're current role, this could change depending on your competance in your new role. For example, if you was a Sergeant within the Royal Engineers and wanted to move to the Infantry Corps, you would no doubt be given a chance and could very well prove yourself capable of being an Infantry Platoon Sergeant, but if you don't then you would either have to go down in rank or keep your rank doing a different role within your new unit which means you are still competant within that rank. For a bit of clarity, could you give an insight in to the choices you are hoping to make?

Thursday, April 30, 2020

Sam M.

Hi Steven, The adventurous part of me is interested in being in the royal artillery for a more fast paced environment whilst the somewhat future focused part of me what's to join as a surveyor with the royal engineers as it's what I tried working towards at university.

Thursday, April 30, 2020

James A.

Reconnaissance Platoon soldier

To add to what Stephen said above, some roles are a higher pay band than others so if you were to transfer to a lower pay band job/role then you would stay on your current pay scale for 2 years then move to the new pay scale. If the role want to transfer in to holds a certain rank then you can move down a rank based on the job. As mentioned, for example- you couldn’t move to a skilled trade rank that you hold no experience in. Hope this helps J

Thursday, April 30, 2020

This discussion is closed, so no new comments can be added.

Did you find this discussion helpful?