Picture of hello, I would be very interested to hear your career story

hello, I would be very interested to hear your career story

Picture of Caroline
4 responses

Additional information

I'm thinking about joining the REME and would really like an insiders view on any engineering experiences.

Alex K. asked a question to Engineering

Category: Open positions

Date asked: Wednesday, May 20, 2020

Last reviewed: Thursday, June 25, 2020

Picture of Caroline M.

Caroline M.

Troop Commander

Good morning. I am an officer in the Royal Engineers rather than the REME but I can tell you about my engineering experiences. After Sandhurst I did the Royal Engineers Troop Commanders Course. This is an eight month course where you learn about all aspects of the RE and how to plan and deliver engineering effects - bridges, demolitions, water points, infrastructure and more. Since finishing training, my main engineering experience has been a project in the Falkland Islands where my Troop and I helped build new accommodation for the RAF at one of the remote radar bases for seven months. As all of the soldiers in the RE have a trade as well as being combat engineers (plumber, electrician, fabricator, bricklayer and concreter, carpenter (etc.), the soldiers were able to put their trade skills into practice on a live task. I am now a Troop Commander at 1 Royal School of Military Engineering Regiment where soldiers conduct their artisan trade training and am able to witness first hand the skill of the soldiers at the end of training and the world class level of instruction that they receive.

Friday, June 5, 2020

Alex K.

That sounds amazing! Thank you so much

Friday, June 5, 2020

Picture of Fionidi

Fionidi

Officer Engagement

Morning Alex, I'm an Officer in the REME so hopefully will be able to give you some useful insight. After commissioning from RMAS I went on the REME Young Officer Course, known as Military Systems Engineering Course (Land), where I learned how to be a REME Officer. This course gave me a hands on insight into the REME trades so that when I took over my Platoon (Pl) I had a better insight and understanding of their day to day activity. I then went to my first role as a Platoon commander (PC) at 4Bn where I took over a Pl of multiple trades whom I prepped for deployment to Estonia on Op CABRIT. Most of my work in unit was planning and organising exercises for my company but when I got on exercise I was able to help get hands on with the equipment and bolster my Pl's work which was really enjoyable and allowed me to get to know the people and vehicles/equipment in my Pl better. As I progress through my career I will hopefully become an Officer in command of a Light Aid Detachment (LAD) which is the REME element of all Regiments in the Army. Here I will be solely in charge of up to 80 soldiers and I will be the Engineering adviser to the CO. This work is of significant importance and will ensure I acquire enough engineering competence to achieve CEng by my 8 year point. In addition to my normal role I am the REME Rugby Corps Manager, the REME Ski team Captain and I play rugby for the Army. If you want a job that's challenging and constantly engaging then it's definitely worth a look and you can come on visits prior to starting at RMAS to see whether its the right fit for you. Hopefully that's given you enough of an insight!

Monday, June 8, 2020

Alex K.

Wow your career sounds amazing! Thank you for that. Made me really excited if I get in.

Thursday, June 25, 2020

This discussion is closed, so no new comments can be added.

Did you find this discussion helpful?